Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Apple Software Update must die!

Two weeks ago Apple Software Update prompted me to install Safari (Apple's web browser) on my computers. That was pretty sleazy of them, because I didn't already have Safari on the computers. I didn't want it (I already have Opera, Firefox, and Internet Explorer on my computers, I really don't need another browser!) so I unchecked it and proceeded with the other updates in the list. Deceitful and annoying once, but not infuriating.

But it has been raised from annoying to infuriating today. ASU is now prompting me again to install Safari on all seven of my computers. I said I don't want it two weeks ago, why would I want it now?

This method of software distribution is identical to one of ones used by virus and spyware writers. Click one wrong button, and your computer is infected with software you don't want. But this is worse. Because it comes back later and tries again! Yes, I know there is a way to tell the updater to ignore a product (it's terribly designed, BTW), but you know it is going to come back again. It already has on at least two of my computers.

I didn't ask for Safari, I don't like Safari, I don't want Safari, I already told it once that I don't want Safari, so stop freaking trying to install it! Apple, you are really getting on my nerves with your arrogant attitude that everybody wants all of your products. There are a lot of people left in this world that don't, so stop trying to force them on us! If you absolutely must use your updater to try to push out a new product: (1) please don't do it in the first place, (2) It needs to not be turned on by default, (3) If someone elects to not install it their preference should be honored, and (4) just don't do it!

And while I'm on the subject, why do I have to download 70MB every two weeks for an iTunes update? Why can't the updater be smart enough to only download the parts of the program that have changed? Why does it have to be updated every two weeks (or more often)? I have like 7 computers so every two weeks I have to approve and download like a half a gigabyte just to keep the updater from nagging me.

I guess since I very rarely use iTunes I should just try to uninstall it and stop having to worry about choking my internet connection with unnecessary updates. (I say 'try' because it leaves traces of things behind even after uninstalling, but I know how to get rid of those.) And while I'm at it I guess I'll have to remove QuickTime too, because whenever you have QuickTime installed, Apple Software Update will prompt to install iTunes regularly too.

Between this and the generally poor job that Apple does of writing Windows software, I think I'm about ready to have a "no Apple software on my PCs" policy. Apple products on Macs are fine, but they've proven time and time again that they don't really understand the way to write stable Windows software, or the way that non-Mac folks think.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So let me get this right - you have to un-tick one checkbox and this provokes you into writing a whole post on your blog to express your anger to the world - dude you don't get out enough!

DoubleDeej said...

But it isn't about just unticking the checkbox. That doesn't fix it. To get it to not come back, you have to untick every other checkbox, select Tools, Ignore Selected Updates, then re-tick every other checkbox.

The fundamental problem is this... Apple is using their Software Update utility to push software out to the world that they haven't asked for. That is the definition of a virus. It is dishonest.

And why are they doing it? Because they make money every time you use the search box. So effectively it's also adware.

I didn't ask for it, I don't want it, and I don't want to be pestered about it continually.

Unknown said...

It is a quandry from the UI Designer's point of view.

These are updates that (in theory) you should have. The reason you might not want to install them is that it's inconvenient for you to do (It might require a restart). So it's more likely that you might want to install them at a later date. So the interface is a good one--for what it's trying to do.

Needless to say, I agree that using Software Update to push new software on the computer is, at the minimum, way tacky. Again, the design is good for updates, but not good for new software for just the reasons you define.

That said, the method of solving the problem isn't quite as convoluted as you suggest.

Step 1: Select the items in the list you don't want installed.
Step 2: Choose "Ignore Selected Updates"

You should no longer see them on the list.

Pecos Bill said...

Yes, it's evil and wrong that Apple used an update tool to send something out. As another said, you can tell it to ignore that "update."

If you really hate the updater, how about setting the update check frequency to never? It will immediately cease warning you of any and all changes unless you manually open it. I personally strongly advise against it as you have QuickTime installed (it provides the music playback and probably a TON of other code resources). That's lately been a large source of security problems.

Anonymous said...

Windows users need to get a clue:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/04/02/five-factors-shifting-the-future-of-malware-and-platform-security/#more-1690

DoubleDeej said...

Selecting Tools / Ignore Selected Updates only works for the current version. When a new version is released it will start popping up in the list again. I've seen it with iTunes.

Completely disabling automatic updates prevents me from being alerted to updates to fix security issues. Not really an option.

DoubleDeej said...

This isn't a blog that is anti-Mac. Please don't post anti-Windows comments. My gripe is with the way Apple is handling the Apple Software update utility.

I personally own a Mac as well. You won't find any anti-Mac comments in my original post. Don't slam my choice of Windows for my primary machines; 90% of the software I need to use on a daily basis isn't available on OS X. I'd seriously consider switching to OS X as my primary OS should those apps ever become available.

Google Search