Wednesday, June 4, 2008

New Toys

I know, I'm always getting new toys.  But I wanted to blog about the two new toys I got yesterday.

Dash Express

First was a GPS Portable Navigation Device (PND).  Since I'm doing more traveling than I have done in the past, it kind of makes sense to have one.  I have used my laptop and/or cell phone in the past, and they work, but both are kind of awkward for navigation, requiring too long to start up and input your intended destination.  I had looked at a bunch of standalone units a while ago (before my last trip to Texas) but gave up because none quite matched up to what I was looking for.  But I got an email this last week that the Dash Express was on sale at Amazon.com, so I got one.   Not that it has everything I want, but it's closer than most.

This GPS is different than most in that it has its own cellular radio for an always-on Internet connection.  It uses the connection for searches (I can search for specifics like "hamburgers" instead of general categories like "food" for example), but also to do real-time traffic updates.  And as I drive, it also updates their servers with information about how fast traffic is flowing to provide that information to other Dash users in the area.  It also uses traffic data when routing to any destination, so if I want to go to Salt Lake, for example, it will find me the quickest route (allowing me to pick from three proposals), avoiding poor traffic conditions in the process. 

One of its other cool features is that it has gas prices and updated movie listings at all times.  I can see who has the cheapest gas, and see what movies are playing at the different local theaters.  I've also got a plug-in that displays weather conditions and forecasts as well.

The Internet connectivity part of it does require a subscription fee, but in the long term it isn't much more than you'd pay to update the maps on other GPS devices. 

Lego Indiana Jones

The other thing I got yesterday was Lego Indiana Jones for my Xbox 360.  I really really loved the Lego Star Wars games.  And this is pretty much more of the same, set in the world of Indiana Jones.  It seems to be designed for people who are already familiar with the mechanics of the Lego series of games; levels are longer than they were in Star Wars, and the puzzles you have to solve along the way are more challenging.  But even though it's harder, it's an awesome game.  So far I have played for about three hours, during which I finished the first three levels of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the first level of The Last Crusade.

And speaking of Indiana Jones, I saw Crystal Skull on opening night.  It's okay.  Not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, but better than Temple of Doom.  It takes the mystical nature of the previous films to a new level, and ups the "oh sure, that would never happen" factor quite a bit.  Aside from that, though, it's kind of fun.

No comments:

Google Search