Thursday, June 11, 2009

There’s a hole in my ceiling!

Two days ago I went to take a shower in the downstairs bathroom and found that I was getting wet before I even turned on the water.  Water was dripping from the ceiling from the vent above the bathtub.  Not good.

I looked into it a little bit and thought it might have been the toilet upstairs.  I found a small leak there, and patched it, and thought I might have fixed the problem.

Yesterday the same thing happened… Water still dripping from the ceiling.  Only this time I found the problem… actually two… the valve to the bathtub upstairs was leaking, and it was running down the wall into a hole at the spigot, down the wall, landing on the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom, running downhill to the easiest point of exit, the air vent.  As a result the whole ceiling is soggy, molding, and developing a pungent aroma. 

A plumber came this morning to investigate and see what could be done, and he knocked a hole in the ceiling to get a peek as to what is going on.  Sure enough, same diagnosis… water from the bathtub upstairs.  He was going to charge a fortune to fix it, so my landlords let him go and will be fixing it themselves.

IMG_0073

In the mean  time I still have a wet, dripping hole in my bathroom ceiling.  It’s pretty gross.

IMG_0072

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

In most occasions, an overflow from a tub, sink or toilet is the reason there is a leak in a ceiling. It can be a very serious problem if not fixed immediately. Your landlords should have let the handyman do it instead of fixing it themselves. It could have cost them more if their repair method damages other parts of the pipe and even of the ceiling. Are you still living in the same house now? I wonder what happened to that ceiling that your landlords considered fixing by themselves.

Elizabeth Hoffnung

Darryl Iorio said...

Hi DoubleDeej! Were your landlords able to fix the bathtub? I kind of had a bad feeling when they didn’t hire the plumber and volunteered to do the repair themselves. It can be dangerous for the surrounding structure if they caused more harm than good in repairing the leak.

Darryl Iorio

Google Search